Saturday, 7 August 2010

Raspberry and Gooseberry Curd

After tasting the delicious raspberry curd at Audley End, English Heritage, a while ago I thought I’d love to make some. But although I ‘googled’ it there didn’t seem to be many recipes and no agreement in the ones there were, so I thought I’d base my attempt on a Gooseberry Curd recipe which I have used for quite a while.


I used 2lbs of raspberries, cooked over a gentle heat and sieved, but really I don’t know why I cooked them as they could have been sieved raw. Dissolve 12oz sugar in the puree, using a double boiler or heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, then add 6oz butter, cut into smallish pieces and 4 beaten eggs (put these through a sieve so there are no stringy bits), heat until just below boiling, stirring often as it comes up to heat and thickens. A spoon should leave a trail in the curd when it is thick enough. It took 40 minutes to get thick enough, by which time I was a bit fed up, so this morning I thought I’d make a little experiment with a small amount of the curd. I put it in the microwave and let it boil briefly, it did not curdle.

I used a large pyrex bowl over boiling water to thicken the raspberry curd

Swap 2lbs of gooseberries for the raspberries to make gooseberry curd. I like to bake the gooseberries in the oven until they are tender.


Ready to put in the freezer

Fruit curds can be kept for a couple of weeks in the fridge, but for longer storage I decant into little tubs and freeze it. Unfortunately it tastes delicious when it’s frozen, so it’s still not safe from moments of greed.


Raspberry curd is excellent rippled into Greek yoghourt, as is Gooseberry Curd. I have deliberately boiled gooseberry curd (with no signs of curdling) after it has been in the freezer to thicken it slightly for a tart filling, using a lemon tart recipe, where it works really well.



Why not use raspberry or gooseberry curd instead of lemon curd in this recipe for Lemon Curd Ice Cream, which although it’s been about for years has stood the test of time and is easy and delicious.

Add to about 350g-450g fruit curd, 300g of thick Greek yoghourt and 300ml double cream, fold it all together and freeze. If you need to sharpen it up add the finely grated rind and juice of a half or whole lemon. The original recipe suggested you froze it in a lined loaf tin and sliced to serve. Why not?

I haven’t tried to make it with just Greek Yoghourt and fruit curd, but to cut the fat content it would be worth a go.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for the recipes Angela. I continue to find
you to be a wealth of knowledge and an inspiration.

Angela said...

You're just too kind! I certainly don't deserve such a compliment.